I've been really enjoying cooking and baking again now that I'm not pregnant and repulsed by most foods :P I've never made bread & butter pudding, my mum used to make it when I was young and I remember it being lovely, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I got the recipe from the Sunrise Care website.
6 slices of white bread
30g salted butter
60ml semi-skimmed milk
20ml double cream
20g caster sugar
1/4 lemon, zested
Pinch of ground nutmeg
150ml vanilla custard
20g brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180C/ fan 160C/ gas mark 4 and butter the baking dish.
2. Butter the bread, cut the crusts off and arrange a layer at the bottom of the prepared baking dish and top with half of the currants.
3. Repeat Step 2 until the slices of bread and currants have been used.
4. In a separate bowl cream together the eggs with the sugar until pale yellow, then add the milk, double cream and lemon zest.
5. Pour the mix over the bread making, ensuring all of the bread is covered.
6. Sprinkle with nutmeg and brown sugar.
7. Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
8. Serve with vanilla custard.
As this is the first time I've made bread & butter pudding, I have nothing to compare it to, what I can say, it turned out to be very tasty and went down well!
It would have been nice if the recipe had said what size baking dish to use, I used the smallest one I have and had to add 2 slices of bread to the mix as 6 slices weren't quite enough - so I had to add extra milk and cream to the mix too :)